Portals benefit organizations by enabling collaboration within the workplace. They help integrate content and applications by providing users with quick and secure access to all the information they require to perform their work proficiently. Users can include employees, customer, business partners and suppliers.
Portals are designed to meet the needs of enterprises of different sizes by supporting them with secure, flexible, scalable and robust infrastructure. Complete portal solutions offer a consistent, integrated user experience by aggregating components into a single view. They also enable integration of all these components within the context.
Connecting a global workforce with IBM WebSphere Portal: A real world example
Fluor Corporation, a Texas-based multinational engineering and construction firm, leveraged IBM technology to connect its globally dispersed workforce comprising more than 40,000 employees. Fluor’s intranet, powered by IBM Connections and IBM WebSphere Portal, helped its employees communicate and collaborate more effectively to unlock better value.
Within a few weeks of implementation, Fluor employees began using the platform, communicating experiences and making new connections, ultimately enabling better innovation. The ability to share expertise and information across the company in real-time is key to quick and effective decision making on a job site.
Say Lim, Fluor’s VP of IT said, “A social intranet powered by IBM is transforming how we do business and creating a more connected workforce across departments, geographies and the world.”
Social business has really changed the way organizations of all kinds interact with their clients and their employees. Today, organizations are thinking entirely differently about how to activate employees to drive business outcome. Social business is driving a smarter workforce. When you’ve got a smarter workforce, you’re changing the way the core processes in your business run, leveraging the incredible talent in your organization to meet your clients’ most critical needs.
A complete portal solution can provide innumerable benefits to organizations, including the ability to:
- Manage information efficiently
- Empower employees with access to data and information
- Optimize cycle times
- Improve IT operations
- Streamline processes
- Enable better communication between stakeholders
Enabling specific scenarios based on roles within an organization
A complete portal solution can offer advantages such as:
- Unified login: Employees gain access to applications from all departments with one login
- Personalized applications: This feature can enable tasks such as offering a different rate to different customers based on their performance and individual profiles.
- Personalized content: This feature makes it possible to display personalized content. For instance, relevant news can be offered to business partners which is different from what employees would see.
- Role-based access: This feature enables access based on user roles. For instance, it can allow only managers to see and to use specific applications.
- Customization: Users can add applications to their views, rearrange applications, and customize their appearance.
IBM WebSphere Portal is a complete portal solution that supports a variety of industry portals and different groups in a company.
IBM WebSphere Portal simplifies basic functions such as providing an efficient framework, enabling optimal integration and facilitating improved content and collaboration within an organization.
Achieving organizational change with IBM WebSphere Portal
IBM WebSphere Portal and Web Content Management offer the following benefits to organizations:
- Enabling scalable and reliable portals to enhance employee productivity and customer loyalty
- Allowing quick portal integration with back-end systems through portlet builders and open standards
- Providing a single point of personalized interaction across applications, content, processes and people
- Integrating business processes and portal users with an orchestrated workflow
- Offering capabilities like instant messaging, people finder, team workplaces and e-meetings
- Featuring IBM Workplace Web Content Management to update the portal and enable accuracy and better control
According to a report from Deloitte, businesses that leverage collaborative technology generate 26% more revenue per employee. They also achieved 40% lower turnover rates.
Drive results with customized Portal solutions
Portal solutions can be customized to suit the needs of different target audiences or organizations including:
- Business-to-business (B2B)
- Business-to-employee (B2E)
- Business-to-consumer (B2C)
- Collaboration portals
Find out how we can help you achieve transformation with custom IBM WebSphere Portal development or migration to the latest version.
For more information, contact Royal Cyber for a complimentary demo.